Tramore Bay Swim - Sat. 4th Sept

Go down

Re: Tramore Bay Swim - Sat. 4th Sept

Post by Helly on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:31 am

The actual Bay swim got cancelled but they did a shorter swim instead (with the kayakers)...still quite rough by all accounts...

(Ye should have came to Youghal where there was a time warp & heat wave!)

Helly

Back to top Go down

Post by Marco on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:48 am

Anyone know if this went ahead or was postponed? 'Twas a dirty aul' day out here, and I didn't even dare brave it down to the Guillemene for a look.....
Marco

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:15 am

Colm Long does. Think Stephan did a bit when he was a young fella back in the 80's as well

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Marco on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:43 am

Anyone know anyone who kayaks?
Marco

Back to top Go down

Tramore Bay Swim - Sat. 4th Sept

Post by Helly on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:07 am

I got the following email from Colm Breathnach who is involved with the Waterford Open Water Swim Club

(I have emailed the disclaimer form to all club members - if you have not received it please let me know and I will send it to you again.)

Or click here for details: http://groups.google.com/group/wowsers/browse_thread/thread/10673f269a96c192

Helen

We are planning to hold a swim across Tramore Bay this Saturday (4th Sept), weather permitting. This swim is a significant distance of approx 4.2K and is not to be undertaken lightly. The swim will be from Brownstown Head to Newtown Cove. The swim starts at 4:00pm and we will have tea and sandwiches afterwards. First in gets the nice ones.

A few rules unfortunately:

MOST IMPORTANT RULE: This is an unofficial and uninsured swim. All swimmers must print off, sign and bring the waiver form (attached) and provide their own kayak support. You do this swim at your own risk. ! ! ! NO WAIVER, NO KAYAK, NO SWIM ! !
You must have a competent kayaker (ie no children)
No under 18's.
Each swimmer must have previously swum a qualifying distance of at least 1.5Km in open water. If your qualifying swim was in a wetsuit, then you must use a wetsuit for this one too.
There is a 2.5 hour cutoff. Anyone still in the water will be pulled after the cutoff time.

Details:
We will meet at the Guillamene carpark at 3:00 PM. The kayak safety briefing will be at 3:15. The kayaks will then leave to paddle over to Brownstown Head in advance of the swimmers. The swimmers safety briefing will be at 3:30, after which the swimmers will then board the rib and will be taken over to Brownstown for the 4:00 PM start. The start will be from the rib, as close to the headland as they can safely get. Each swimmer will match up with their kayaker and then both swimmer and kayaker will proceed together back to Newtown Cove. It's not a race and there are no prizes. We will however be taking times for those so inclined.

If everyone brings tea / coffee / sandwiches / biscuits or whatever, we'll have a picnic afterwards.

Nominal charge of €5 per swimmer, to cover petrol expenses for the rib.

Please email me so we can have an idea of numbers to expect.

It actually looks now like its going to be too windy, but be ready just in case, we'll make a final call on it Friday afternoon. If we do have to postpone, the details will be the same as above, but just on a different day / time. Postponement notification will be by email.

Looking forward to a good day out.

Colm.

Helly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down