Beast of the East

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Beast of the East

Post by Slatts on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:28 am

prove us wrong then. Get set up in transition in your speedos and see what happens (like you normally do for races)

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by copperman on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:28 am

OK so road bike it is, obviously you were all not moving fast enough if the midges (small insects)were catching you. I heard their maximum airspeed is 3 MPH!!!

copperman

Back to top Go down

Post by LambeB on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:40 pm

I'd go with a road bike especially if the roads are any way wet. It was pretty hairy last yr in spots. Great race! I'll second the insect repellent recommendation.

LambeB

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:35 am

cowards......................

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Marco on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:52 am

I actually passed a lot of guys on TT bikes going up those hills, which, as you can imagine, Copperman, was a curious sensation for me Wink Another factor you might consider is the road holding - there were a few very slick corners, on which I passed 3 separate crashes, so I was glad of the better handling of the road bike. It's a hard call - I might be with Spins in preferring the road bike for this one...
Marco

Back to top Go down

Post by Spins on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:39 am

There's two F-off hills on the course that you'll struggle on the TT bike but there's also a long downhill stetch in to Laragh which would be fine on the TT bike. The rest of the course is undulating. Last year there was as many TT bikes as there was road bikes. If I had the choice (wait, I do now) I'd probably use my road bike but ask Noel Ryan as he did it last year on his TT bike.

Spins

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatts on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:38 am

Course is very hilly but I still reckon go with the TT bike - loads of people used them both years I did it. The road surface isn't that bad bar a few bits.

There's a hoor of a hill at the start and close to the end - you can get the head down in the middle bit even if it is a bit lumpy.

The decent into transition is lethal, shouldn't be allowed really no matter how many stewards they have roaring at you to slow down.

Don't forget the insect spray for transition down at the lake, most people were eaten alive by midges (the little fly things not small people)

Its a great race all the same

Slatts

Back to top Go down

Beast of the East

Post by copperman on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:52 am

Anyone going, I have signed up as I have the next battle with my nephew and his Trinity College buddy, which is the best bike for this course TT or road???

copperman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top